The timelines for licensees regarding initial licensure and verifications are below. The VBOA tries to meet all processing times; however, there may be circumstances that prevent specific processing timelines from being met. Contact email@example.com with any questions.
Once the CPA exam has been passed, the VBOA must receive a number of documents prior to licensure. Review the VBOA licensing requirements for a step-by-step guide.
- Individual license processing time: 2-5 business days once a document is received before the candidate will see the online checklist updated.
Once all documentation has been submitted, processed and the checklist is complete, the individual will receive email notification from the VBOA indicating:
- Issued CPA individual license
- Pending documents are still needed
Virginia CPAs can apply for licensure in another state and the VBOA will issue a license verification. The automatic process is accessed by logging in online and selecting “Document Request.” Once logged in, the “Document Type” field will be filled in with the state where the CPA wants to have the verification mailed. The non-refundable online fee for automatic verification is $25.
For manual license verification, mail a written request with a non-refundable check made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia for $50.
- Processing time: 7-10 business days from the date the fee was received (online or check).
The individual license reinstatement fee is $350 and all fees are non-refundable.
- Processing time: 7-10 business days from the date the fee was received.