The Virginia Board of Accountancy investigates complaints against
Virginia licensees, expired licensees or non-licensees using the CPA title or
performing services in Virginia restricted to CPAs.
The VBOA does not have any authority over non-CPA accountants or bookkeepers, unless they are using the CPA title or are performing services in Virginia restricted to CPAs.
The VBOA’s Enforcement Division:
- Investigates complaints against licensees and unlicensed individuals that are within the jurisdiction of the VBOA.
- Coordinates investigations of matters with other agencies that involve significant loss or harm to Virginia citizens.
- Increases adherence to licensing requirements and professional standards by CPAs and public accounting firms.
- Resolves VBOA enforcement matters and adjudicating complaint cases in a timely manner.
- Maintains the confidentiality of information obtained during investigations.
- Monitors licensees disciplined by the VBOA.
- Publicizes disciplinary actions necessary to protect the public.