search question-circle-o log-in megaphone arrow-right2 facebook twitter youtube linkedin2 phone plus-circle2 minus-circle2 play2 menu3 cross

Inactive status

In order to qualify for the Inactive status a licensee’s current job duties cannot require a substantial use of accounting, financial, tax or other skills that are relevant, as determined by the VBOA. As of January 1, 2020, the previous Active – CPE Exempt status was renamed Inactive status but the requirements remain the same.

If the licensee is not currently providing services, including on a volunteer basis, to the public or to or on behalf of an employer, they may not be required to meet the VBOA’s CPE requirements.

Learn more at VBOA Policy #9: Inactive Status Procedure for Approval/Denial/Appeal.

Please see examples of jobs that generally qualify for the status and some that do not qualify. Job titles are not always indicative of approval or denial of status. Each application is reviewed on the individual licensee.

Generally qualify for Inactive

  • Retired
  • Not employed
  • Missionary
  • Teacher (non-accounting)
  • Medical doctor
  • Stay at home parent

Do not qualify for Inactive

  • Chief financial officer (CFO)
  • Tax attorney
  • Director of finance
  • Comptroller/Controller
  • Accountant
  • Budget analyst/Manager
  • Accounting professor

Apply for the Inactive status by completing the Inactive application and submitting it to the VBOA, along with a copy of an official job description.

Please note: Licensees must be pre-approved for the Inactive status to be exempt from CPE requirements. Licensees cannot apply for this status when they have been selected for a CPE audit. If a licensee has not been approved for the Inactive status at the time of CPE audit selection and notification, the licensee is responsible for meeting the VBOA’s CPE requirements.

Accounting professors

The VBOA believes educators at the college level who teach accounting, finance or tax do require the substantial use, or knowledge, of this subject matter in order to teach. Next to individuals in public accounting, educators of these subjects have the largest potential impact on the accounting and CPA profession.

Such educators are expected to and must meet the VBOA’s CPE requirements. By law, it is not required to hold a CPA license to teach these courses, but those that do must obtain the required hours of CPE.

For questions regarding status qualifications, please contact the VBOA at (804) 367-8505.

If licensee’s plan to start providing services to the public or to or on behalf of an employer, they must request a change in status to Active by the VBOA before providing these services. In order to begin providing services, a licensee is required to meet the requirements of VBOA regulation 18VAC5-22-90.