CPA exam testing process
The CPA examination process is a partnership between the AICPA, NASBA and Prometric. Review the testing process below for step-by-step instructions on applying for the CPA exam.
1. Register, create a user ID and password, and login to submit the initial application. The initial application is $120.
2. After you have submitted the application, please have your official transcripts sent to the Virginia Board of Accountancy at 9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 402, Henrico, VA 23233.
3. Processing takes approximately two to three weeks from the date that transcripts are received. Once completed a determination of eligibility will be sent via email.
4. If you have been deemed eligible, you will receive your first payment coupon within three to five business days via email from NASBA.
5. Once received, you will need to follow the instructions on the payment coupon to submit payment to NASBA. The payment coupon is valid for six months.
6. Once the payment has been submitted, you will receive a Notice to Schedule (NTS) within three business days via email from NASBA. The NTS is valid for 12 months.
7. Upon receipt of your NTS you will follow the instructions to contact a Prometric Testing Facility to schedule the date you will sit for the exam section.
Keep in mind:
- Please be sure to review and keep for reference the procedures for the CPA exam process.
- To aid in the optimization of your time and money please visit the Prometric website and the online seat availability tool. It will allow you to view seat availability for the section you wish to sit for, based on your preferred location, without having a section ID.